Curious why you need to take Physical Therapy medical error prevention courses in Florida?
Preventable medical errors persist as the No. 3 killer in the U.S. – third only to heart disease and cancer – claiming the lives of some 400,000 people each year! As if the loss of nearly 1,000 people a day weren’t reason enough to demand better education and prevention, these medical errors cost the nation a colossal $1 trillion each year.
Requirements for Prevention of Medical Errors Education.
(1) To receive Board approval for biennial renewal, courses on medical error prevention shall be two contact hours and include a study of root-cause analysis, error reduction and prevention, and patient safety, which shall encompass:
(a) Medical documentation and communication;
(b) Contraindications and indications for physical therapy management; and
(c) Pharmacological components of Physical Therapy and patient management.
(2) Applicants for initial licensure must have completed at least two contact hours of medical error education. The Board shall accept coursework from accredited schools of physical therapy provided such coursework was completed after January 1, 2002.
(3) If the course is being offered by a facility licensed pursuant to Chapter 395, F.S., the Board may apply up to one hour of the two-hour course if specifically related to error reduction and prevention methods used in that facility.
(4) The course may be used as part of the home study continuing education hours.
(5) Medical errors education courses approved by any Board within the Division of Medical Quality Assurance of the Department of Health pursuant to Section 456.003, F.S., are approved by this Board.
Specific Authority 456.013(7) FS. Law Implemented 456.013(7) FS. History–New 10-8-02, Amended 8-18-08.
Phyiscal Therapy University is a Florida Physical Therapy Approved Provider of continuing education.
Gain Full Access To Physical Therapy University
12 Month Subscription
700+ CEU Video Hours